ICDS - Integrated Child Development Scheme
Integrated Child Development Scheme is a centrally sponsored scheme launched on 2nd October 1975 by Government of India during the Morarji Desai Government and relaunched by the Tenth Five Year Plan.ICDS provides nutritional needs, pre-school education, and primary healthcare, immunization, and health checkup and referral services to the children under 06 years of age and their mothers.
ICDS is one of the largest integrated families and community welfare scheme in the world.ICDS Ladakh was came into existence in 2019 after the Reorganization of erstwhile State of Jammu and Kashmir into two union territories viz.J&K UT and Ladakh UT. ICDS Ladakh comes under the administrative control of Mission Director ICDS Ladakh, headquarter based at Council Secretariat, Kurbathang Plateau, Kargil. At present ICDS is headed by Mission Director who is assisted by District Programme Officer and other allied staff.
Objectives of the Department
- To improve the nutritional and health status of the children in the age group of 0-6.
- To lay the foundation for proper psychological, physical and social development of the child.
- To reduce the incidence of mortality, morbidity, mal-nutrition and school dropouts.
- To achieve affective coordination of policy and implementation amongst the various department to promote child development and
- To enhance the capabilities of mother to look after the normal health and nutrition needs of the child through proper nutrition and
In order to achieve these objectives Six packages were developed and accordingly the services were provided by this department, the six packages are as follow:-
- Referral Services
- Pre-School (Non- Formal Education)
- Nutrition and Health Education
Major Schemes functioning under ICDS
- SNP - Supplementary Nutrition Programme
- PMMVY - Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana
- POSHAN ABHIYAN